The Dutchess County Pistol Assoc. is dedicated to handgun safety.
Because we feel strongly that safety is an important aspect of our shooting sport, we are proud to offer NRA Certified Classes. The DCPA has NRA Certified Firearms Instructors on staff that conduct classes on a regular basis. Currently we are offering the ten hour NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting. This course is open to both members and the public. Anyone age 14-20 years old can attend this class. Those 21 and older, a valid NYS pistol license or pending application is required. Some reasons to take this course are to fulfill the requirement needed to obtain a NYS pistol permit, to become a member of the DCPA or to acquire the certification needed to apply for out of state, non-resident pistol licenses. Many people take the course to improve upon their knowledge of firearms and skills in their use. No matter your reason, learning the basics of safe pistol shooting is essential to becoming a responsible handgun owner.
The Fundamentals of Safe Gun Handling:
- ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
- ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
The goal of the NRAís Basic Pistol Course is to teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning and using a handgun safely. The course is intended for all adults regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation.
Student's will receive a copy of the NRA's "The Basic of Pistol Shooting" handbook. The course uses an interactive teaching method requiring student participation in an instructor led, hands on, classroom and range experience. You will learn many important concepts, including:
- gun safety rules, comprehension and application
- proper handling, loading and unloading of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols
- ammunition knowledge and selection
- selecting and storing a pistol
- the fundamentals of shooting
- pistol inspection and maintenance
- range protocol
- shooting positions
- live fire
- shooting qualification
Certificates are awarded to participants who successfully complete this basic course.
2017 NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
|July 12, 13 & 14
||Wed, Thur & Fri
|September 27, 28, & 29
||Wed, Thur & Fri
|November 11 & 12
||Sat & Sun
Class Fees are:
This fee includes all materials, book, use of handguns, up to 300 rounds of ammunition, ear protection, eye protection and certificate.
* If you wish to bring your own firearm (.22 recommended) and at least 300 rounds of ammunition, we will discount the full course fee to $125.
This fee is payable through PayPal (click on the PayPal logo in the sidebar), or you may bring Cash or a Money Order (payable to DCPA) to the first day of the class.
For more information or to register, please contact:
- 21 years and older (Adult) = $160 per person *
- 14-20 years old (Junior) = $75 per person
- Relative of DCPA Member (living in same household) = $75 per person